- prep time30 min
- total time 42 min
- serves 4
Fish, potatoes, peppers and herbs make a simple classic fish cake!Courtesy of Riffs Truck.
1 lb(s) boneless codfish
1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp fresh cilantro
½ cup mashed potato (optional)
1 onion, chopped fine
2 clove fresh garlic, minced
1 small green sweet pepper, chopped fine
½ tsp scotch bonnet pepper
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ lb(s) flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/2-2/3 cup milk
Corn or vegetable oil for frying
1. Soak codfish overnight or boil 20 minutes to take out most of the salt.
2. Pour water off, then rinse in cold water.
3. Squeeze water out, then flake the fish by hand removing any hidden bones. They are fine so do this step carefully.
4. Add flour, baking powder, and other ingredients.
5. If you add potatoes it makes them thicker, but does little to alter flavor.
6. Pour in milk to form a batter.
7. Drop by the teaspoonful in hot oil in deep frying pan.
8. It should make a smooth ball and float in 15-20 seconds.
9. Let the spoon touch the oil so that each "drop" of the batter slides out smoothly.
10. Remove from pan when both sides are golden brown (3-4 minutes).
11. Serve while hot with your favorite aioli.