Corn Pudding with Blackberries and Caramel Corn
- prep time30 min
- total time 75 min
- serves 4
A riff on France’s famed crème brûlée.
Breakdown of Times:
Prep Time: 15 minutes
In-Active Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1 pint (500 mL) blackberries
1 ½ cup (375 mL) heavy (35% MF) cream
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out with a knife
1 cup (250 mL) fresh corn kernels
2 Tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar, DIVIDED
4 large egg yolks
2 cup (500 mL) store-bought caramel corn
1. Place four ½-cup ramekins in a 9-inch square baking dish, fill with blackberries and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat add cream, vanilla seeds and pod, and 1 tablespoon sugar and bring to a simmer.
3. Meanwhile, beat together egg yolks with remaining sugar until well combined. Set aside.
4. Stir corn kernels into cream mixture and cook 5 minutes.
5. Discard vanilla pod, then puree cream-corn mixture with a hand immersion blender until smooth.
6. Very slowly whisk a little hot cream mixture into egg yolk mixture to temper, then slow whisk yolk mixture into cream mixture.
7. Pour custard into prepared ramekins, add enough boiling water to come halfway up sides of ramekins and cover with foil.
8. Bake custards on middle rack of a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) oven until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean; about 20 minutes.
9. Let custards cool to room temperature before refrigerating overnight.
10. To serve, place ramekin on a dessert plate and top with caramel corn. Serve immediately.