- prep time10 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 6
Try this old fashioned dish made out of corn, cream and bacon.
2 strips bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels (thaw, if frozen)
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp celery salt
1 lemon, zested
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
4 large egg yolks
1 whole large egg
1 cup half-and-half cream
2 Tbsp cornmeal
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 6 cup baking dish.
2. Cook bacon in a large sauté pan until crisp, then remove bacon to a paper-towel lined plate, reserving fat in pan.
3. Over medium heat, sauté onions in bacon fat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add corn kernels, thyme, celery salt, lemon zest, garlic, salt and pepper and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat to cool slightly.
4. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks, whole egg and cream. Stir in cooled corn mixture, cornmeal and reserved bacon.
5. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and place dish into a larger pan, and fill larger pan with hot water, so that it comes almost to the same level as the corn pudding. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, until it no longer jiggles when moved.
6. Remove pan carefully from water bath and serve.