¼ cup vegetable oil, divided
1 lb(s) lean ground beef
1 lb(s) stewing beef cubes
2 small onions, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
300 g chopped fresh tomatoes (approx. 2 medium)
2 cups beef stock
4 Tbsp tomato paste
1 - 2 Tbsp chili powder
1 (540 mL) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup milk, any percentage
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
½ cup corn kernels, drained if canned
1. In a large pot or large Dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp of the oil over medium. Cook the ground beef completely and drain on a paper towel-lined plate, about 10 minutes. Next, cook the stewing beef until just browned and drain on another paper towel-lined plate, about 5 minutes.
2. Heat remaining 2 Tbsp of oil in recently used pot (no need to clean) over medium, and cook onions until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Add drained ground beef and stewing beef back to pot and stir to combine with onion mixture. Cook on medium-high heat until the beef is evenly browned, about 5 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, stock and tomato paste and combine well, followed by chili powder. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Add the beans and continue to simmer, uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Spread cooked chili evenly into a deep ovenproof baking dish with a capacity of 4 cups (1 quart). Set aside while you prepare the cornbread topping.
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the milk, eggs and melted butter. Gently stir in the corn kernels.
3. Add the milk and corn mixture to the flour mixture and stir until dry ingredients are just incorporated.
4. Working quickly, spread the cornbread batter over top of the chili, trying to make the batter reach the edges.
5. Bake for 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the bread comes out clean. Scoop into bowls and serve.
Source and Credits
Courtesy of Mardi Michels