Crepes with Pommes Caramilisees
- serves 4
A comfort food extravaganza! A caramel-apple sauce, bacon and fluffy pancakes, all sprinkled with cheddar cheese.
Courtesy of Andrea Matwiy of L'Avenue
½ lb(s) butter
½ cup water
½ cup 35% cream
2 cup brown sugar
8 small apples, slicedBacon
1 tsp butter, melted (or substitute with 1 teaspoon oil)
1 lb(s) (16 slices) baconPancakes
1 Tbsp vanilla
5 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 ½ cup flour
1 quart (4 1/2 cups) buttermilk
¼ cup butter, melted
1 tsp oilAssembly
2 cup cheddar, grated
1. In a pot or saucepan combine butter, water, cream, and sugar; form a caramel sauce by bringing to a boil over high heat. Allow to until thick.
2. Once the caramel has thickened add the sliced apples. Allow the apples to soften in boiling caramel for 2-4 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low and allow caramel sauce to simmer until you are ready for assembly.Bacon
1. Add butter to a frying pan; melt over medium heat. Once butter sizzles, add bacon to pan. Cook to desired crispness; turn bacon over periodically to prevent burning.
2. Remove from heat and set aside.Pancakes
1. In a large bowl sift dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients and mix well to form pancake batter.
2. Add oil to a large frying pan or griddle. Warm oil over medium heat.
3. With a 2-ounce ladle scoop batter into pan. Each scoop makes 1 pancake. Cook 2-4 pancakes at a time; flipping after 2-3 minutes when batter begins to bubble. When both sides of the pancake are golden brown, remove from heat.
4. Set 1 serving of 4-5 pancakes at a time aside on oven safe plates or cooking tray. Repeat for remainder of batter.Assembly
1. Preheat oven to low broil.
2. Sprinkle ½ cup of cheese on each serving of 4-5 pancakes. Place in oven for 2-4 minutes until cheese has melted.
3. Remove from oven and plate with 4 pieces of bacon. Top with a generous serving of caramel sauce. Serve.