Crispy Pork Wontons with Chili Oil Sauce
- prep time60 min
- total time 70 min
- serves 60
These little pouches of savoury pork dumplings are always a deeply satisfying meal.
Courtesy of Bonnie Mo.
12 store-bought wonton wrappers
8 oz ground pork
4 oz raw shrimp, minced
3 Tbsp chives, finely chopped
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp fish sauce
½ tsp sesame oil
½ tsp Chinese rice vine or sherry
¼ tsp sugar
3 dashes white pepper
1 cup canola oilChili Oil Sauce
½ Tbsp Chinese black vinegar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
½ Tbsp dried chili flakes
1 Tbsp oil
1. Combine the pork with the rest of the ingredients for the filling in a medium bowl.
2. Assembly the dumplings as follows: Place a piece of wonton on a flat surface about 1 Tablespoon of filling onto the wrapper, being careful not to overfill.
3. Dip your finger in a bowl of warm water and circle around the filling, and fold over to form a triangle shape.
4. Using both thumbs and index fingers, press and squeeze both sides of the dumplings towards the centre to form the folds. Seal the dumpling by dipping your index finger into a small bowl of water and circle around the outer edges of the wonton wrapper.
5. Place them on a floured surface or baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap or a damp cloth to prevent drying.
6. Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a wok or stock pot to 350°F (180ºC) for deep-frying. Gently drop the pork dumplings into the oil and deep fry in batches. Deep-fry until they turn golden brown. Dish out with a slotted spoon, draining the excess oil by placing hot dumplings on a wire rack or dish lined with paper towels.Chili Oil Sauce
1. Blend all ingredients together and serve alongside wontons. Enjoy!