1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
½ tsp (2 mL) peppermint extract, to taste
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
1 cup (250 mL) milk chocolate chips
1 Tbsp (15 mL) crushed candy cane
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In large bowl, cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and peppermint extract; mix well.
3. In small bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture, mixing until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and crushed candy cane.
4. Roll dough into balls, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time. Place balls on prepared baking sheet, flattening slightly.
5. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden around edges. Let cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.