1 medium butternut squash (about 3 lbs)
2 large Granny Smith applies
1 large red onion
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp maple syrup
½ Tbsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp fresh ginger, minced
½ tsp yellow curry powder
⅛ tsp allspice
¼ cup pecans, finely chopped + additional for garnish
⅓ cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley, packed
⅓ cup Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1. Pre-heat your oven to 400ºF.
2. Chop the bulbous end of the butter nut squash off, as well as the top stem, leaving just the straight part in the middle. Peel off the skin (I find it easier just to cut it off) and chop it in half, so it's easier to spiralize.
3. Using Blade B spiralize the squash so it turns into thick noodles. Place into a very large bowl.
4. Cut the apples in half and gently cut out out the core. Cut the round part of each apple half off slightly, so that it's flat. Don't cut too much, or the apple will split when spiralizing. Place onto the Inspiralizer and spiralize each cut half using blade C. Place into the bowl with the squash noodles.
5. Cut the ends off of the red onion, so they're flat, and take off the papery skin. Place onto the Inspiralizer and spiralize with Blade A. Add into the bowl with the other noodles.
6. Toss the noodles with the olive oil, maple syrup, salt, cinnamon, ginger, curry powder, allspice and a few good twists of pepper. Really toss them around to make sure they're evenly coated in the spice mixture.
7. Transfer the noodles, being sure to scrape up all the oil and syrup from the bottom of the bowl, into a large baking or casserole dish and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the chopped pecans.
8. Bake for 10 minutes, stir around and then bake again until the squash noodles are fork-tender and the apples and syrup has begun to caramelize, about another 10-15 minutes.
9. Immediately stir in the parsley and dates, and then let cool for 5 minutes.
Tips and Substitutions
To make it easier to serve, cut the noodles in the baking dish before dividing between plates.
Source and Credits
Courtesy of Taylor Kiser of foodfaithfitness.com