Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Nanaimo Bars
- prep time15 min
- total time 180 min
- serves 24
Pumpkin and cinnamon transform this classic recipe into a fall-friendly dessert.
Courtesy of Lisa Bolton, foodwellsaid.com, Surrey, B.C.
½ cup (125 mL) butter
⅓ cup (75 mL) cocoa powder
¼ cup (50 mL) sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 ½ cups (375 mL) graham cracker crumbs
¾ cup (175 mL) sweetened shredded coconutMiddle Layer
1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
½ cup (125 mL) butter (at room temperature)
½ cup (125 mL) pumpkin purée
2 Tbsp (30 mL) custard powder
1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
½ tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
½ tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
Pinch saltTop Layer
6 oz (170 g) dark chocolate
¼ cup (50 mL) butter
1. In small saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, cocoa and sugar, stirring occasionally until butter has melted and mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool.
2. Stir in egg, graham cracker crumbs and coconut.
3. Press into ungreased 9-inch (2.5 L) square pan. Refrigerate for 60 minutes.Middle Layer
1. In medium bowl, use electric mixer to cream together icing sugar, butter, pumpkin, custard powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt. Spread over bottom layer; chill.Top Layer
1. In top part of double boiler over barely simmering water, melt chocolate and butter together, stirring occasionally, until smooth and shiny. Pour over custard layer.
2. Refrigerate overnight.