- serves 0
Cleaned and washed deer stomach
Deer lungs, heart, kidney and liver (the "pluck")
4 cup diced onions
2 cup diced peeled apples
¼ cup maple syrup
225 g diced beef suet
50 g roasted oat flakes
1 pinch grated nutmeg
Concentrated meat stock
1. Cook the stomach, the deer lungs, heart, kidneys and liver in boiling water for two hours. Skim regularly. Remove the meat from the pot and cool.
2. In a large pan, sweat the onions with the butter over medium heat. Set aside. In a separate pan, cook the apples also in butter. Add the maple syrup and the grated nutmeg. Caramelise for 25 minutes. Set aside.
3. Use a meat grinder to grind the lungs, the heart, the kidneys, the liver and the chopped beef suet. In a large bowl, combine the ground meat with the onions, the caramelised apples and the roasted oat flakes. Fill the deer stomach with this stuffing. Tie the stomach closed with a string and pierce it in various spots with a knife.
4. Poach the stuffed stomach in hot but not boiling water (80°C) for about one hour.
5. Preheat oven to 375°F
6. Remove the stomach and place it in a large cast-iron saucepan. Cover the haggis with some of the sauce and pour the rest in the pan. Cook in 375°F oven for 40 minutes. Baste regularly with the sauce.Sauce
1. Combine an equal quantity of diced tomatoes, concentrated meat stock and beef broth. Stir with a hand mixer.