- serves 8
Fresh and delicious homemade donuts are a breeze with this easy to follow recipe by Chuck Hughes.
1 cup sugar (250 ml)
2 Tbsp water (30 ml)
½ cup butter (125 ml)
1 cup 35 % cream (250 ml)
1 cup good quality dark chocolate, chopped (250 ml)Raspberry Mango Filling
2 cup raspberry (500 ml)
2 cup mango (500 ml), cubed
1 cup sugar (250 ml)
Zests and juice of 1 lemonLemon Cream
Juice and zests of 3 lemons
½ cup sugar (125 ml)
⅓ cup butter (80 ml)Donuts
1 tsp active dry yeast (5 ml)
2 cup warm milk (approx. 105C) (500 ml)
½ cup granulated sugar (125 ml)
½ tsp salt (2 ml)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 ml)
4 ½ cup all-purpose flour (1,25 L)
½ cup butter
Oil for deep frying
Powdered sugar for garnishAssembly
1. In a saucepan, melt the sugar with the water on low heat until it becomes a caramel color liquid, approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Add the butter and stir until it’s all incorporated. Add the cream and stir until it becomes a thick and rich caramel. Add the chocolate and stir until it’s melted and incorporated in the caramel. Remove from heat. Let cool and reserve in an airtight container.Raspberry Mango Filling
1. Put everything in a saucepan and bring to a boil, skimming the surface of the jam regularly. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Let cool. Blend the mixture to reduce to a puree. Pass through a fine sieve to remove the seeds. Reserve in an airtight container and keep refrigerated.Lemon Cream
1. In a stainless steel bowl mix all the ingredients together. Place bowl over a pot of boiling water not letting the bottom of the bowl touch the water, don’t want to scramble the eggs. Cook for 2 minutes approximately until it thickens. Remove from heat. Pass through a fine sieve. Cover with plastic wrap so that it is directly on top of the cream. Let cool and keep refrigerated.Donuts
1. In a food processor sprinkle yeast over the warm milk; stir to dissolve and let stand for 5 minutes. Add sugar, salt, beaten eggs and vanilla. Blend thoroughly. Add flour and then using a stand mixer with a dough hook, beat until smooth. You can also kneed the dough by hand for about 5 minutes. Add butter and blend until thick. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
2. Roll the dough out on a floured surface to 1/2-inch in thickness. Cut the dough into 1 inch-round doughnuts using a circular cookie cutter (or alternately, a can). Cover with a plastic wrap and let rest for an hour in a warm place. Deep fry at 360F (185C) for 1 to 1 and a half minutes until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels.Assembly
1. Fit a pastry bag with a 4 mm pastry tip and insert the tip into the side of the doughnut. Gently squeeze the bag as you slowly pull the tip out of the doughnut. Using this technique, fill them with lemon cream, raspberry mango jam and chocolate caramel ganache to taste. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
2. Note : Chilling the dough makes it easier to roll it (does not stick as much). The dough will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
3. You can also use any good quality jams to fill the donuts.