Double Hit Smoked Nuts
- prep time1 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 0
This nuts are packed with kick, just the spicy treat you were looking for!
3 cup mixed raw nuts (almonds, cashew, hazelnuts and pecans)
2 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp thyme
1 ½ Tbsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp lightly packed brown sugar
2 egg whites
6 cup hickory wood chips
Water for soaking
1. Allow 4 cups (1 litre) of wood chips to soak in cool water for 1 hour.
2. Place nuts on a large oven proof-baking tray. Drizzle melted butter on nuts evenly.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the spices with salt and sugar. Mix until evenly combined.
4. Whip the egg whites in a separate bowl until frothy.
5. Toss the nuts with the sugar and spices until evenly coated. Gently mix all the spiced nuts with the frothed egg white and place on a tray.
6. Prepare barbeque for indirect smoking 220°F (104°C). Leave 2 sides of the barbeque turned off and one side on.
7. Strain the wood chips. Place 2 cups (500mL) of wet wood chips on a large sheet of aluminum foil mix in 1 cup (250mL) of dry chips. Mix until evenly distributed.
8. Close the foil up loosely and make a sealed pouch. Pierce the pouch with a fork in several spots top and bottom to allow smoke to escape. Repeat steps with remaining chips to make another pouch (2 pouches in total).
9. Place the smoke pouch directly on the burner that is turned on, close barbeque lid and wait for smoke to form.
10. Adjust barbeque heat to reach 220°F (104°C), if necessary. Place the tray of nuts on the side of the barbeque with indirect heat (heat turned off).
11. Smoke the nuts for 1 hour or until the nuts are crispy and golden brown. Change the smoke pouch when smoke dissipates.
12. Remove nuts from the barbeque and place on a parchment-lined tray to cool before serving.