Duck Breast Salad with Pomegranate and Vanilla Poached Quince
- serves 4
2 pinch oil, vegetable
2 Magret duck, breasts, skin on and scoredVinaigrette
¾ cup pomegranate juice
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp lemon, juice
½ cup olive oil
2 Tbsp quince, poaching liquid, (recipe follows)Salad
4 cup mesclun, greens
¼ cup pomegranate, seeds
¼ cup vanilla poached quince, (recipe follows)
1 smoked duck, breast, julienneTo Assemble Vanilla Poached Quince
5 quince, peeled, cut, into, small dice
1 cup water
¼ cup white sugar
1 vanilla, bean, seeds, scraped
1 tsp lemon, juice
1. In a large ovenproof frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
2. Place seasoned breasts skin side down and sear for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Pour fat from pan and place in oven. Roast breasts for 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and pour off excess fat.
5. Turn breasts skin side up and return to oven.
6. Roast for a further 4 to 5 minutes for medium-rare.
7. Remove from oven and keep warm.Vinaigrette
1. In a small saucepot reduce pomegranate juice by 1/2 until syrupy.
2. Allow pomegranate juice to cool and place in a stainless steel bowl.
3. Add rice vinegar, lemon juice and poaching liquid.
4. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Adjust seasoning.Salad
1. In a bowl mix greens, pomegranate seeds and vanilla poached quince.
2. Toss with a little vinaigrette.To Assemble
1. Place salad in the center of a large plate.
2. Slice duck breast and place on top of greens.
3. Julienne smoked duck breast and sprinkle on roasted duck breast.
4. Finish with a little coarse salt.
5. Drizzle a little vinaigrette around and serve.Vanilla Poached Quince
1. Combine water, sugar, vanilla bean and pulp in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
2. Add diced quince and allow to come to a boil.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Remove quince when liquid is cool.