Duck Confit BLT
- serves 4
Courtesy of Kevin Mathieson of Art-Is-In Bakery.
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp pectin
2 Tbsp lemon juicePulled Pork Confit
4 duck legs
¾ cup coarse salt
6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
8 cups duck fat (available at most butchers)Lemon Chive Mayonnaise
1 ⅓ cups mayonnaise
3 Tbsp chives, finely chopped
1 lemon, juice only
3 Tbsp creamy Dijon mustard
kosher salt and black pepper, to tasteCaramelized Bacon
8 strips uncooked bacon
2 Tbsp brown sugarAssembly
12 slices brioche bread (3 slices per sandwich)
½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
4 thick slices tomato (1 slice per sandwich)
arugula, to taste
1. Combine cranberries, maple syrup, pectin, and lemon juice in a small pot; bring to a slow boil over medium heat, lower heat to low and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, or until cranberry sauce starts to thicken.
2. Transfer sauce to a food processor; purée until smooth. Cover and refrigerate overnight to set.Pulled Pork Confit
1. Pat duck legs dry with paper towel. Rub with coarse salt and fresh thyme; cover and refrigerate for 12-16 hours.
2. Rinse duck legs with cold water; pat dry and set aside.
3. Melt duck fat in a large pot over low heat for 10-20 minutes.
4. Once fat is hot, add duck legs, making sure they’re entirely covered.
5. Cover pot and simmer over low heat for 3 hours, or until meat easily pulls away from the bone.
6. While duck legs cook, prepare cranberry compote, lemon chive mayonnaise, and caramelized bacon.Lemon Chive Mayonnaise
1. Stir together mayonnaise, chives, lemon juice, and Dijon mustard. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate until sandwich assembly.Caramelized Bacon
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Lay bacon strips on a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving space in between strips. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
3. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until bacon is crispy and sugar is golden brown; cool bacon and set aside.Assembly
1. Preheat panini press to medium-high.
2. Remove duck legs from fat; cool for 5-10 minutes. Pull duck meat off the bone into 2-inch strips with a fork.
3. For each sandwich, spread reserved lemon chive mayonnaise on two slices of brioche bread; top one slice with pulled duck confit and crumbled goat cheese; set second slice of brioche aside.
4. Spread reserved cranberry compote on a third slice; top with two pieces of bacon, crossed one over the other, a tomato slice, and arugula, to taste.
5. Close sandwich with reserved slice of brioche.
6. Grill sandwich on panini press for 2 minutes, or until bread is golden brown. Cut diagonally and serve.