Duck Sandwich with Mango Chutney and Salted Pickled Onions
- prep time10 min
- total time 25 min
- serves 4
A toasted baguette filled with flavourful Peking Duck, tangy chutney and salty onions.
4 oz palm sugar, broken into pieces
¼ cup white sugar and brown sugar (each)
1 cup water
4 star anise, whole
juice of 2 limes
2 ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
1 tsp chili flakesSalted Pickled Onion
1 red onion, julienned
1 Tbsp salt
¼ cup red wine vinegarDuck Sandwich
1 baguette, cut in ½ length-wise, inside of bread removed shredded
shredded duck meat reserved from Lentil Soup recipe
½ bunch bunch chives, cut into ½ inch pieces
1 cup cilantro leaves
½ cup mint leaves
salt and pepper
1. Place palm sugar, water and star anise in a medium sauté pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Once palm sugar has dissolved, add lime juice. Reduce to a thick, syrup like consistency.
2. Add mango, chili flakes and season with salt, cook for 5-7 minutes, until mango has become tender and juices have reduced.Salted Pickled Onion
1. Place onions in a bowl, add salt and toss. Allow Salted Onions to sit for 10 minutes.
2. Rinse Salted Onions under cold water, drain and lay over a dry towel. Once dry, return onions to bowl, add red wine vinegar and toss to coat and pickle onions.Duck Sandwich
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Place duck meat and baguette on a tray, heat until meat is warmed through and baguette is lightly toasted.
3. Place baguette on cutting board, layer shredded duck meat over bottom of baguette, followed by Mango Chutney, Salted Pickled Onion, chives, cilantro and mint.
4. Season with salt and pepper, place top of baguette over, cut into portions and serve.