Nonstick cooking spray, for coating the baking sheet
2 cups frozen spinach (from a 10 - oz package)
1 lb(s) 80% ground turkey
¼ cup breadcrumbs
2 tsp ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium carrot, grated
1 large egg
2 Tbsp fresh dill fronds, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
Juice of half a lemon
3 pitas with pockets, cut in half and warmed
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment and coat with cooking spray.
2. Cook the spinach in a large bowl in the microwave according to the package instructions. Let cool slightly.
3. Add the turkey, breadcrumbs, cumin, garlic, carrot, egg, 1 tablespoon of the dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix with your hands until just combined. Scoop mounds of the meat mixture (about 2 tablespoons each) onto the prepared baking sheet. With damp hands, roll the mounds into balls and space them evenly apart on the baking sheet. Bake until cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, stir together the yogurt, lemon juice and remaining dill in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve 3 meatballs in each pita half. Pack in shredded lettuce and sliced tomatoes. Drizzle with the yogurt sauce.
Source and Credits
Courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Copyright 2017 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.