Fifty Pesos' Chicken Tamales
- prep time15 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 10
Serve tamales with fresh salsa!
Recipe courtesy of Kris and Selena Rattray.
20 dried corn husksChicken Filling
4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp chili powder
½ cup lemon juiceDough & Assembly
3 cups masa corn flour
1 - 2 cups vegetable broth
½ tsp salt
1. Place corn husks in a large bowl; cover with cold water and soak for at least 2 hours.Chicken Filling
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.Dough & Assembly
1. In a large bowl, add small amounts of broth to the corn flour, beating until well blended and forms a dough-like consistency.
2. Drain corn husks and pat dry. Place corn husks on a work surface. On the large end, spread approximately 3 tablespoons of dough to within 1 inch of the edges. Top with 1-2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture. Fold alongside of husk over filling, overlapping slightly. Fold over the ends of the husks and tie with string or elastics.
3. In a large steamer basket, position tamales upright. Place the basket in large pot over 1 inch of water. Bring water to a boil and steam for a minimum of 45 minutes. Add more water to pot if needed.