Five Spice Lamb Burgers
- serves 0
2 lb(s) ground lamb
1 shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp five spice powder
1 egg yolk
½ Tbsp ginger, minced
1 pinch salt
1 ripe tomato, sliced
Five Spiced Aioli
Cucumber RelishCucumber Relish
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
½ red onion, small dice
1 red finger chili, seeded and diced
¼ cup white wine vinegar
¼ cup sugar
1 English cucumber, seeded and diced
½ bunch mint, leaves picked and coarsely chopped
saltFive Spice Aioli
½ cup mayonnaise
juice of 1 lime
2 tsp five spice powderCrispy Onions
2 sweet onions, cut in half and sliced thinly on a mandolin
vegetable oil, for frying
¼ - ½ cup cornstarch
Five spice powder
1. Place all ingredients, in a bowl and mix well.
2. Form 4, 8 oz burgers.
3. Place in fridge for 1 hour to allow flavours to infuse.
4. Heat grill.
5. Grill burgers until cooked through.To assemble
1. Toast buns on grill.
2. Serve on toasted bun with Five Spice Aioli, Pickled Cucumber Relish and sliced tomato.Cucumber Relish
1. In a sauté pan, toast coriander seeds over medium to high heat.
2. Add oil and sweat red onions until translucent.
3. Add chili and stir.
4. Add white wine vinegar.
5. Add sugar, stir and allow to dissolve.
6. Add cucumber, cook for 5-7 minutes over medium heat and reduce slightly achieving a light glaze consistency.
7. Season with salt and cool.
8. Add mint and incorporate.Five Spice Aioli
1. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, lime juice and five spice powder.
2. Refrigerate until use.Crispy Onions
1. Soak onions in cold water for 10 minutes.
2. In a large wide bottomed pot, heat vegetable oil to 365F.
3. Prepare a tray lined with paper towel.
4. Drain onions and dry well in a kitchen towel.
5. Dredge onions lightly in cornstarch and fry in batches.
6. Move onions around while frying to prevent clumping.
7. Remove onions, place on tray just before turning brown, as onions will continue to colour after removing.
8. Season with five spice powder and salt.