Foie Gras Mousse, Roasted Peaches, Pickled Onions and Brioche
- serves 4
A gourmet, elegant dish made to shine on any table.
Courtesy of Chef Matthew Stowe
3 ¼ cup (875 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
⅓ cup (80 mL) milk, warm
2 Tbsp (30 mL) dry active yeast
⅓ cup (80 mL) sugar
1 cup (250 mL) butter, small cubes
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp (30 mL) waterFoie Gras Mousse
8 ½ oz (250 g) foie gras, cleaned and de-veined, sliced 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick
1 cup (250 mL) shallots, sliced 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick
1 tsp (5 mL) thyme, chopped
2 Tbsp (30 mL) honey
1 Tbsp (15 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper
¼ cup (60 mL) brandy
⅓ cup 35% cream
15 chervil leavesRoasted Peach
2 peaches, pitted and cut into wedges
¼ vanilla bean, scraped
2 Tbsp (30 mL) sugarPeach Puree
½ cup (125 mL) white wine
¼ vanilla bean, scraped
3 Tbsp (45 mL) sugar
1 cup (250 mL) peach, pitted, medium dicePickled Shallots
2 shallots, sliced on mandolin 1/16-inch (1 mm) thick
¼ cup (60 mL) rice vinegar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) sugar
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add flour, salt and eggs.
2. In a small bowl, combine warm milk, yeast and sugar, allow yeast to activate for 5 min.
3. Once mixture becomes a frothy, add to flour and beat with dough hook 6-8 min.
4. Add butter with machine running, being sure each cube is fully incorporated before adding the next.
5. Once all butter is added, beat dough additional 3 min.
6. Place dough in a clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap, leave at room temperature for 1 hour.
7. Punch down dough, wrap again and chill overnight.
8. Portion dough into small loaf pan 9”x 5” (22cmx 12cm), place in warm area until doubled in size.
9. Whisk egg yolk and water. Brush loaf with egg wash and bake 375ºF (190ºC) for 30 min. until golden brown.Foie Gras Mousse
1. Heat large sauté pan on high. Sear foie gras 1 min. each side. Remove from heat, place slices onto tray and chill in fridge. Reserve fat.
2. Return pan to heat and sauté shallots and thyme in 1 tbsp. (15ml) of foie gras fat for 8 min.
3. Add honey, salt and pepper, cook 3 min.
4. Deglaze with brandy, simmer, reduce by half.
5. Add cream and reduce by half again.
6. Puree foie gras and cream mixture in food processor until smooth, chill 45 min. or until firm.Roasted Peach
1. Combine vanilla seeds and sugar.
2. Fold sugar mixture into peaches, place on parchment lined sheet and roast at 400ºF (205ºC) for 5-7 min. Remove from oven and cool in fridge.Peach Puree
1. Combine all ingredients in medium sauce pot and simmer over med heat for 20 min. until tender.
2. Place in blender, puree until smooth, store in a small container and cool completely.Pickled Shallots
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Leave to brine for 2 hours, strain, discard liquid.