¾ cup good quality Arborio rice, rinsed and soaked
6 cubes homogenized milk
¼ cup cane sugar
¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
2 egg yolks
1 large cinnamon stick
¼ tsp orange zest, grated
⅓ tonka bean, finely grated
¼ long pepper, finely grated
⅒ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp sea salt
1. Place milk and sugar in a medium pot on medium-high heat and let it come to a simmer.
2. Add in the rice, reduce to medium heat and let cook for 1 hour, stirring every 5 minutes or so with a spatula to make sure the contents on the bottom of the pot are not burning.
3. Whisk together the condensed milk and egg yolks in a small bowl and temper with some of the hot liquid from the pot.
4. Stir egg mixture into the rice, reduce to low heat, add in spices, and let cook for 5 minutes.
5. Place contents of pot into a bowl over an ice bath and stir to help cool. Cover and let chill in the fridge for at least 6 hours so flavours can infuse.
6. Remove the cinnamon stick and portion out for serving. Can be served chilled or warm.