- serves 12
150 mL (2/3 cup) sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
5 mL (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
125 mL (1/2 cup) unbleached all-purpose flour
45 mL (3 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and partially cooledFor the White Chocolate Butter
125 mL (1/2 cup) sugar
45 mL (3 tablespoons) water
30 mL (2 tablespoons) honey
250 mL (1 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
112 g (4 oz) white chocolate, melted and partially cooledFor the Syrup (Optional)
125 mL (1/2 cup) white chocolate cream liqueur (Godiva, for example)
30 mL (2 tablespoons) sugarFor the Almond Paste
200 g (7 oz) almond paste
Red food colouringFor Assembly
625 mL (2 1/2 cups) fresh raspberries
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Butter a 20-cm (8-inch) square Pyrex cake pan. Line with parchment paper, letting the paper hang over 2 opposite sides.
2. In a bowl, beat the eggs, the sugar and the vanilla with an electric mixer until the mixture turns pale and triples in volume, about 8 minutes.
3. Gently fold in the flour with a spatula. Gently stir in the butter.
4. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
5. Let cool for 10 minutes. Run the tip of a thin-bladed knife around the inside of the dish. Unmould onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely.For the White Chocolate Butter
1. Break the eggs into a large bowl. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, bring the sugar,water and honey to a boil. Simmer until a candy thermometer reads 117°C (242°F), about 5 minutes.
3. With an electric mixer running at medium speed, beat the eggs until frothy. While beating, add the hot syrup in a thin stream, being careful not to pour it on the beaters. Beat until the mixture has completely cooled, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the butter, 1 or 2 pieces at a time, beating until the buttercream is very thick. Add the tempered chocolate, beating until combined.For the Syrup (Optional) For the Almond Paste
1. Mix the almond paste and a few drops of food colouring by hand until the paste is uniformly pink. If desired, wear disposable latex gloves.
2. On a clean countertop dusted with icing sugar, roll the almond paste into a 20-cm (8-inch) square.For Assembly
1. Slice the cake horizontally into 2 layers. Place the bottom half on a cake stand. Ice with 1/3 of the buttercream. Cover with raspberries. Ice with 1/3 of the buttercream. Place on the raspberries, icing side down. Ice with the remaining buttercream and top with the almond paste.
2. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Trim the sides of the cake so they are straight and even.