- prep time30 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 3
Anna Olson's delectable French macaroons topped with chopped pistachios. Makes about 3 dozen macaroons.
2 cup sliced almonds
1 ½ cup icing sugar, sifted
3 large egg whites
¾ tsp salt
3 Tbsp sugar
food coloring paste – pink and green
crushed pink peppercorns
1. In a food processor, puree almonds with ½ cup icing sugar until very fine and pour into a bowl. Stir in remaining 1 cup icing sugar.
2. Whip egg whites with salt in a clean bowl until foamy, then add sugar and continue to whip until whites hold a stiff peak.
3. Stir almonds into whipped whites in 2 additions. Add food colouring in small amounts (and split macaroon batter into smaller bowls if you wish to add a variety of colours).
4. Spoon batter into a piping bag fitted with a ½-inch plain tip, and pipe batter into ¾-inch “kisses” onto a parchment-lined baking tray, leaving an inch between each macaroon.
5. Top pink macaroons with a little sprinkle of crushed pink peppercorns and green macaroons with chopped pistachios. Let macaroons sit to dry for 20 minutes.
6. In the meantime, preheat oven to 300 F.
7. Bake macaroons for about 20 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking, until edges and tops of macaroons are visibly dry but not browned.
8. Let macaroons cool on tray before removing.