Fresh Blueberry Tart
- serves 0
A delicious tart with a light creamy filling from Laua Calder. Yield: one 9-inch/23-cm tart shell
2 ¼ cup flour
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 tsp vanilla
⅓ cup ice-cold water
1 whisked egg whiteCream Base
8 oz high quality cream cheese, softened
¼ cup sugar (for the cream base)
¼ cup crème fraîche or sour cream
½ tsp vanillaFilling
4 cup fresh blueberries
¼ cup sugar (plus more, if needed)
2 Tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
1. Put the flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter pieces, and pinch with the fingers to create a crumb texture.
2. Make a well in the middle, and pour in the water and vanilla. Quickly work in the flour to create dough. Do not over-mix.
3. Divide into 2 disks, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 15 minutes before rolling out. You will only need one disk of pastry for this recipe; save the second disk for later use.
4. When ready to bake, roll out one of the balls of dough and line a 9-inch/23-cm tart shell or ring.
5. Heat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
6. Line the shell with foil or parchment paper, then pour dry beans on top of the foil or parchment paper to the rim. Bake 20 minutes. Remove the beans and foil and return to the oven until lightly golden and completely cooked.
7. Pull from the oven and paint the base with a little whisked egg white to seal the base.Cream Base
1. Cream the cheese with the sugar, then beat in the crème fraîche and vanilla. Spread in the base of the cooked shell once it has cooled.Filling
1. Put one cup of the blueberries in a saucepan with 1/4 cup/60 ml water, the sugar, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil and simmer until juicy and thick. Pour over the remaining berries in a bowl and toss to coat. Spread over the cream base and let set. Serve.