- prep time15 min
- total time 20 min
- serves 4
Crispy homemade calamari has never been this easy to make.
1 lb(s) of fresh calamari, cleaned (450 g)
2 cup of milk (500 ml)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp of garlic Tabasco sauce (5 ml)
2 cup of flour (500 ml)
1 tsp of sweet paprika (5 ml)
1 tsp of cayenne pepper (5 ml)
1 tsp of freshly ground pepper (5 ml)
1 lemon, cut in 4 wedges for garnish
Salt and pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
1. Clean Calamari and cut into thick rings reserving the tentacles for frying.
2. Mix milk and lemon. Let rest for 5 minutes until it thickens.
3. Soak in buttermilk mixed with garlic Tabasco in a large bowl for up to 4 hours
4. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Beat eggs in a third bowl.
5. Remove Calamari from buttermilk and drain, dip into beaten egg, then flour mixture. Set aside for frying. Fry in batches in a deep fryer set at 360 C or heavy skillet on medium high heat filled with 2 cups of vegetable oil (500 ml) until brown and crispy, about 4 minutes. Place on a plate and pat dry excess oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve with lemon wedges.