Fried Chicken and Wild Rice Waffles with Pink Peppercorn Sauce
- prep time40 min
- total time 80 min
- serves 4
Bobby Flay's twist on a Harlem classic with fried chicken atop fluffy waffles.
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
1 ½ Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp kosher salt
4 cups buttermilk
4 large eggs
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup cooked wild rice (rice should be overcooked) , drained well
Melted butter, for the waffle ironFried Chicken
6 cups buttermilk
2 tsp chile de arbol powder, or 2 tbsp hot sauce
2 chickens (3 to 4 lbs each), cut into 8 pieces
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp sweet paprika
2 tsp cayenne
Freshly ground black pepper
Peanut oil, for deep-fryingPink Peppercorn Sauce
½ cup clover honey
3 Tbsp pink peppercorns
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
2. Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and oil in a separate large bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until the mixture just comes together. Add the wild rice and fold until just combined. Let the mixture rest for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the waffle iron. Brush the waffle grates with some of the melted butter and make the waffles according to the manufacturer's directions.Fried Chicken
1. Whisk together 4 cups buttermilk, 2 tablespoons salt and the chile de arbol in a large bowl or large baking dish. Add the chicken, turn to coat, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
2. Stir together the flour, garlic and onion powders, paprika and cayenne in a large bowl and divide between 2 shallow platters. Season generously with salt and pepper. Drain the chicken in a colander and pat it dry. Dredge the pieces a few at a time in the flour mixture and pat off excess, then dip in the remaining 2 cups buttermilk and allow the excess to drain off. Dredge in the second plate of flour and pat off the excess. Put the chicken pieces on a baking rack set over a baking sheet while the oil heats.
3. Pour about 3 inches of oil into a deep cast-iron skillet; the oil should not come more than halfway up the sides of the pot. Put the pot over medium-high heat and heat the oil to 375ºF on a deep-fry thermometer.
4. Working in batches, add the chicken pieces to the hot oil, 3 or 4 at a time and fry, turning the pieces occasionally, until evenly golden brown and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to a rack to drain; repeat to cook the remaining pieces.Pink Peppercorn Sauce
1. Meanwhile, make the pink peppercorn sauce: In a small bowl, combine the honey, zest of the whole lime and the juice of only 1/2 of the lime. In a mortar, crush the peppercorns with the pestle until all the peppercorns are crushed lightly. Add to the honey and mix well.
2. To serve: Place a waffle on a plate, top with 2 pieces of fried chicken and pour the pink peppercorn sauce over top.
Special equipment: waffle iron