Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches
- prep time1 min
- total time 13 min
- serves 4
Delicious sandwiches filled with fresh herbs and goat cheese.
4 oz goat cheese, softened
2 Tbsp fresh chives
2 Tbsp finely chopped green onion
1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 Tbsp fresh chopped basil
1 Tbsp fresh chopped thyme
1 tsp finely grated lemon, rind
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ cup flour
2 egg, lightly, beaten
¾ cup coarse yellow cornmeal
4 green tomato
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (160°C)
2. In bowl and using wooden spoon, beat together goat cheese, onions, parsley, basil, thyme, lemon rind and 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) each of the salt and pepper. Place flour in shallow bowl; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon (1 mL) salt and remaining pepper. Place eggs in another bowl and cornmeal in a third; set aside.
3. Slice tomatoes into sixteen 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick slices. Pat with paper towel to dry. Sprinkle with remaining salt.
4. Spread heaping tablespoonful (15 mL) goat cheese mixture evenly over half of the tomato slices; sandwich with remaining slices.
5. Keeping “sandwiches” intact, carefully coat both sides of sandwich in flour, tapping off excess. Dip in egg then coat both sides in cornmeal.
6. In large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons (25 mL) of the oil over medium heat. Cook 4 of the sandwiches, turning once and adding more oil as necessary, for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden and tomatoes are fork-tender. Repeat with remaining sandwiches, keeping cooked sandwiches warm in 350°F (160°C) oven.