Fried Watermelon Salad
- prep time75 min
- total time 105 min
- serves 4
Fried watermelon? In a salad? What watermelon pickles? Absolutely!
Breakdown of Times:
Prep Time: 60 minutes
In-Active Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
2 cup (500 mL) watermelon rind, skin removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 Tbsp (15 mL) kosher salt
¾ cup (175 mL) cider vinegar, mixed with 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
¾ cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) pickling spice tied in cheeseclothChipotle Aioli
1 cup (250 mL) mayonnaise
1 Tbsp (15 mL) roasted poblano or chipotle pepper puree
1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juiceCrispy Prosciutto Chips
4 thin slices prosciuttoSalad
¼ cup (60 mL) finely diced pickled watermelon rind
¼ cup (60 mL) watermelon juice
1 Tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
1 roasted poblano chili, seeded and finely diced
½ cup (125 mL) extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
8 cup (2 L) arugula
1 cup (250 mL) finely diced watermelonFried Watermelon
1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
⅔ cup (150 mL) cornmeal
2 Tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) baking powder
½ tsp (1 mL) dry mustard powder
1 cup (250 mL) milk
2 slices watermelon, cut 1/4-inch thick, rind removed, then quartered and patted dry
vegetable oil for frying
salt and pepper
1. Place rind and salt in a medium saucepan, add water to cover, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook until fork tender, about 5 minutes, then drain and set aside.
2. In another saucepan, add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook until sugar has dissolved, then remove from heat and add reserved rind. Remove pickling spice sachet from pot and refrigerate pickles for two hours to allow flavours to meld.Chipotle Aioli
1. Whisk together all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.Crispy Prosciutto Chips
1. Place prosciutto in a single layer between 2 sheets of parchment paper on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400 degree Fahrenheit oven (200 degrees Celsius) until crispy, about 7 minutes.Salad
1. For vinaigrette, whisk together watermelon rind pickles, watermelon juice, vinegar, chili and oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. In a large bowl, toss together arugula with diced watermelon and dress with vinaigrette.Fried Watermelon
1. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, mustard and milk until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a heavy bottomed skillet set over medium-high heat, add 1-inch of oil and heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
3. Working in batches, coat watermelon slices in batter and fry until crisp and golden, about 3 minutes per side, then drain on paper toweling and season lightly with salt and pepper.
4. To Plate: On each of 4 plates, layer in the following order: aioli, 2 fried watermelon wedges, salad, 1 crispy prosciutto slice. Serve immediately.