Giant Ricotta Spinach Ravioli
- serves 4
Delicious spinach pasta and warm ricotta filling make this ravioli a beautiful treat.
5 oz fresh spinach
3 ½ oz frozen spinach
2 ½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
2 large eggs, at room temperatureRicotta Filling
1 ½ cup ricotta cheese
½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1 pinch ground nutmeg
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepperSauce
5 Tbsp butter
2 sprig fresh sage, plus extra, cut in chiffonade (long thin ribbon slices) for garnish
1 Tbsp chiffonade of fresh mint
salt & pepper
grated Parmesan, for garnish
1. For pasta, blanch fresh spinach in salted boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and squeeze out excess moisture (if using frozen, thaw completely and squeeze out water). Place spinach in a food processor and puree until smooth. Add flour, salt and eggs and pulse until mixture forms a tight ball. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for at least 2 hours.
2. To assemble, roll out pasta, using a pasta machine into thin sheets. Cut 16 squares from the pasta, the width of the pasta sheet itself. Lay out 8 squares and spoon filling equally into the center of each square. Brush edges around filling with water and top with remaining pasta squares. Press filling down a little, to spread it, then gently press pasta edges together, starting close to the filling and working outwards (to push out any air bubbles). Chill ravioli until ready to cook and serve.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water up to a boil and gently drop in ravioli (4 at a time). Remove ravioli with a slotted spoon into pan with butter and warm over medium-low. Transfer ravioli to serving plates and spoon with any remaining butter. Sprinkle with chopped sage and mint, season lightly and top with grated Parmesan.Ricotta Filling
1. While dough is chilling, prepare filling. Stir all ingredients together and chill.Sauce
1. For sauce, melt butter in a large sauté pan with sprigs of sage and cook over medium heat, just until foaming subsides. Set aside until ready to serve.