3 Tbsp gluten-free beef broth
1 ½ Tbsp gluten-free white rice flour
1 oz dried morels
1 cup cream
¼ cup butter
⅓ cup fine diced shallots
⅛ tsp ground thyme
2 ½ cups gluten-free beef broth
1. Mix together the rice flour and the 3 Tbsp. beef broth to make a smooth paste. Set aside.
2. Add enough warm water to cover the dried morels. Let sit about 1 hour or until soft.
3. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon. Discard the water. Rinse the morels and gently squeeze out the excess moisture.
4. In a small saucepan bring the cream to a gentle simmer, reduce to half. Set aside.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan, saute the shallots until soft.
6. Add the thyme and mushrooms, continue to cook a couple of minutes. Add the broth, simmer until the flavors are well blended.
7. Slowly whisk in the reduced cream, simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. If needed thicken with a little of the rice flour mixture and simmer until the desired consistency is reached.
Tips and Substitutions
If desired the morels can also be soaked in red wine. Our beef broth of choice is Nutrimax gluten beef broth which is suitable for vegetarians and trans fat free. We purchase this product at our local health food store.
Source and Credits
Courtesy of Food Network Canada Community