Gluten-Free Spiced Tourtière Meat Pie Filling
- serves 0
Recipe courtesy of Jennifer Low
Drizzle vegetable oil
1 lb(s) ground pork (or mixture of pork and beef)
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
½ cup finely chopped onion
½ cup peeled, coarsely grated potato (any kind)
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 ½ tsp dried parsley
1 ½ tsp dried savory
1 ½ tsp thyme
3 Tbsp tomato sauce
¼ cup cold beef stock
2 Tbsp potato starch
2 tsp Gluten-Free Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp potato flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 ½ tsp allspice
Generously salt and pepper to taste
1 recipe Best Gluten-Free Pie Pastry
1. In large skillet, heat vegetable oil on medium heat. Add ground meat, celery, onion, potato, garlic, dried herbs and tomato sauce. Cook, stirring and breaking up meat, until no pink remains.
2. In cup, mix beef stock, potato starch and Worcestershire sauce. Stir into meat mixture. Cook, stirring, until stock mixture contains no runniness yet remains moist. Turn off heat.
3. Sprinkle potato flour and spices over top. Stir through. Allow mixture to cool completely before proceeding with tourtière recipe or chill to use next day.
4. To assemble tourtière, spread meat mixture in bottom of Best Gluten-Free Pie Pastry shell. Cover with top pastry. Seal edges. Brush with egg wash, cream, or milk. Cut slits in top of pie.
5. Bake on middle rack of preheated 350 F (180 C) oven for 1 hour, or until pastry is cooked through. Makes one 9-inch (22-cm) Gluten-Free Spiced Tourtière Meat Pie. Makes 4 to 6 servings.