1 cup (250 mL) distilled white vinegar
2 cup (500 mL) trimmed and roughly chopped baby artichokes
1 cup (250 mL) water
⅓ cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) kosher salt
1 tsp (5 mL) pink peppercorns
2 sprig thyme
1 EACH bay leaf, cinnamon stick and star anise
juice of 1 lemon, DIVIDED
4 large green globe artichokes
¼ cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
½ tsp (2 mL) black pepper
¼ cup (60 mL) lemon juice
2 Tbsp (30 mL) artichoke pickle juice
2 Tbsp (30 mL) white wine vinegar
1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
1 shallot, minced
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
1 ½ cup (375 mL) canola oil
½ cup (125 mL) goat cheese mixed with 1 tablepsoon (15 mL) heavy cream (35% MF)
6 cup (1.5 L) baby spinach leaves
1 heads red radicchio, torn into bite-size pieces
½ cup (125 mL) pickled artichokes
¼ cup (60 mL) toasted pine nuts
1. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, add all ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook until sugar is dissolved and artichokes are fork tender, about 5 minutes. Cool mixture to room temperature before pouring into a mason jar and refrigerating until ready to use.
1. Place half of the lemon juice in a bowl of cold water. Set aside.
2. To clean artichokes, cut off stem and two-thirds from the top, remove prickly points from leaves and wipe all exposed areas with remaining lemon juice. Place artichoke in reserved lemon water and let rest for 30 minutes to soften.
3. Set a large saucepan of lightly salted water over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add prepared artichokes and cook until barely fork-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and pat dry, remove choke and drizzle with oil, then barbecue on medium heat for 5 minutes per side.
1. Whisk together lemon juice, pickle juice, vinegar, mustard, shallot and salt, then add oil in a slow stream until emulsified.
1. To Plate: Smear each of 4 salad plates with goat cheese mixture and place a grilled artichoke bottom on top. Toss together spinach, radicchio, artichoke pickles and the pine nuts, lightly dress with vinaigrette and mound inside artichoke bottoms.