Grilled Calamari with Tomato Olive Salsa
- serves 6
8 pieces fresh calamari, cleaned, ends removed
¼ cup olive oil(50mL)
Juice of one lemon
¼ tsp chili flakes(1 mL)
½ tsp salt(2mL)
¼ tsp pepper(1 mL)Tomato Olive Salsa
6 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 red onion, finely diced
½ cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped(125 mL)
2 Tbsp capers(25mL)
1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
2 clove garlic, finely minced
1 Tbsp lemon zest(15mL)
¼ tsp each salt and pepper(1mL)
1. Preheat grill or barbeque.
2. Make slits in each calamari, at 1 cm intervals, but do not cut right through into separate into rings. (This will prevent the calamari from curling up when it is grilled).
3. In a non-reactive bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Marinate calamari marinate for only 5-10 minutes.
4. Grill calamari, 3 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove to a plate. Top calamari with salsa and serve.Tomato Olive Salsa
1. In a non-reactive bowl, stir together tomatoes, onion, olives, capers, basil, garlic and lemon zest, salt and pepper.