Grilled Vegetable Kebabs
- serves 6
1 japanese eggplant, sliced into 1-inch/2.5cm rounds (1)
1 zucchini, sliced into 1-inch/2.5cm rounds (1)
1 red pepper, cut into 2-inch/5cm long rectangles (1)
8 red cherry tomatoes (8)
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (45ml)
2 tsp balsamic vinegar (10ml)
pinch each salt and freshly ground pepper (pinch each)
6 12 inch long wooden skewers (30cm)Pizza Dip
1 7 ½ oz can pizza sauce
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (125ml)
¼ cup cream cheese, softened (50ml)
¼ cup finely chopped pepperoni (50ml)Pesto Aioli
½ cup mayonnaise (125ml)
2 Tbsp sour cream (30ml)
2 Tbsp prepared pesto (30ml)
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1. Grease grill lightly and preheat to medium-high. In a small bowl whisk the olive oil with the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Put the cherry tomatoes together on 1 skewer. Thread the other skewers by alternating with remaining vegetables, according to taste. Each skewer will fit about 10-12 pieces. Lightly brush prepared skewers with olive oil mixture and set all but the cherry tomato skewer on the grill.
3. Grill vegetables, turning and basting occasionally, until tender-crisp, about 10 -15 minutes. Add cherry tomato skewer to the grill during the last 3-5 minutes of cooking. Serve vegetables alone, or with pizza dip.
Tip: To prevent wooden skewers from burning, soak for 30 minutes in warm water before threading with ingredients and setting on the grill. You could also brush vegetables with your favourite prepared vinaigrette before grilling.Pizza Dip
1. Combine ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl and cover. Microwave on medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring halfway during cooking time, until cheese is melted and dip is bubbling.
Makes 1 1/4 cups/300 mL
Tip:You could double this recipe for the whole family to enjoy as a fondue, using grilled or fresh vegetables, as well as breadsticks, for dipping. Pesto Aioli
1. Stir ingredients together and serve with grilled vegetables.
Makes 1/2 cup/125 mL
Tip: Double the batch and use on sandwiches with leftover grilled vegetables or other fillings, such as cooked chicken.