Halibut and Mushroom Parchment Parcels and Spring Asparagus with Rhubarb Vinaigrette
- serves 4
Courtesy of Michael Olson
4 5 oz halibut fillets
¾ lb(s) shiitake mushrooms
4 sprig fresh thyme
4 sprig tarragon
4 fresh or dry bay leaves
1 lemon, sliced
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
salt & pepperSpring Asparagus with Rhubarb
2 lb(s) asparagus
1 cup diced fresh rhubarb
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp Dijon mustard
⅓ cup canola oil
water, as needed
salt and pepper
2 Tbsp chives
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190 °C).
2. Rinse halibut portions and pat dry. Slice shallots. Remove stems from shiitake mushrooms and slice. Cut 4 sheets or parchment paper, 12-x-16 inches (30-x-40 cm).
3. To assemble, fold parchment paper in half to create a fold, then open. Sprinkle a few shallots on each sheet of parchment (just on one side of the fold).
4. Place a halibut portion on shallots and top with mushrooms. Lay a sprig of thyme and tarragon and a bay leaf on each and a couple of slices of lemons.
5. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and a few drops of sesame oil. Season each lightly.
6. Place parcels on a baking tray and bake until parcels puff up, about 18 minutes.
7. To serve, transfer entire parcels to plate and bring to the table. Each guest should tear open the parcel to expose the fragrance, and remove thyme and bay leaf before eating.Spring Asparagus with Rhubarb
1. Bring a pot of water up to a boil and salt generously. Trim asparagus and add to water (if asparagus is thick, peel outside using a vegetable peeler).
2. Blanch, uncovered, until tender (check by tasting – time will vary depending on thickness of asparagus).
3. Once tender drain and shock in a bowl with ice and water to halt cooking. Strain and chill until ready to serve.
4. For vinaigrette, simmer rhubarb, sugar, lemon juice and honey until rhubarb is tender, about 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature, then whisk in mustard.
5. Slowly drizzle in oil, whisking until incorporated. Whisk in water until desired consistency is achieved.
6. Season to taste and stir in chives.
7. To serve, arrange asparagus on a platter and spoon vinaigrette over top.