½ Tbsp olive oil
1 cured chorizo, sliced on the bias
¼ large Spanish onion, diced
1 large garlic clove, chopped
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
8 cups organic chicken stock
3 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
1 can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 fresh cod fillet, seasoned with salt and white pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot on medium high heat. Sauté chorizo until crispy, about 4 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Pour off oil rendered from the chorizo, saving about 1 Tablespoon. Sauté onions and garlic, scraping up any sausage bits, until soft.
3. Add thyme, bay leaf, diced potatoes, beans and stock and turn up heat to medium high. Add chopped kale and bring to a boil for 6-7 minutes. Turn down heat and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Return chorizo to the pot.
4. In a separate pan, add a sliver of butter and melt. Sear cod on both sides until just browned.
5. Add cod to soup pot and cook until fish is cooked though.
6. Remove bay leaf, ladle into bowls and add cracked black pepper and salt to taste.
7. Add grated Parmesan and dig in!
8. *A quick whiz with an immersion blender results in a thicker, more rustic version of this soup. Just don't go too crazy, we're not making baby food.