1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
2 cup water
6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for cooking
3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
½ tsp salt
1 cup loosely packed chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 cup loosely packed chopped fresh dill
1 clove garlic
1 Tbsp capers
1 Tbsp caper juice (from jar)
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
1. Whisk chickpea flour, water and oil in a medium saucepot over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is the texture of a custard, about 7 minutes.
2. Remove from heat to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in herbs and salt and spread into an 8-inch (20 cm) square pan lined with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
3. To serve, heat a bit of olive oil in a non-stick pan over high heat. Turn out panisse onto a cutting board and cut into 16 fingers, one inch by 4-inches. Fry panisse about 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
4. Remove gently and serve with salsa verde.
1. Puree all ingredients in a food processor or with an immersion blender, adding enough water to make smooth. Season to taste and chill until ready to serve.