Hole Mole Burrito
- serves 4 - 6
Courtesy of Darrin Bokyo of The Old Crow Café.
10 Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
6 ounce sweetened dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1 large white onion, roughly chopped
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup almonds, roughly chopped
1 - 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, roughly chopped
3 clove garlic, roughly chopped
1 ½ Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1 star anise
1 Tbsp vegetable stockTomato Salsa (2 cups)
3 - 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
½ red onion, chopped
juice of 1/2 lime
½ bunch cilantro
chili powder, to taste
salt and pepper
hot sauce, to tasteAchiote Chicken
5 annatto seeds (or 3 tablespoons paprika + 2 tablespoons turmeric)
2 Tbsp cumin seeds
1 Tbsp black peppercorns
1 Tbsp allspice
½ tsp ground cloves
3 habanero peppers, seeded
½ cup orange juice
½ cup white vinegar
8 clove garlic
juice of 5 limes
1 ½ lb(s) chicken breast and thigh meat
3 Tbsp tomato pasteAssembly
2 cup uncooked wild rice
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
4 - 6 (12-inch) flour tortillas
3 (13-oz) cans refried beans
1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained (1 1/2 cups)
2 cup sour cream
2 cup mixed shredded cheese (Cheddar & Monterey Jack or other Tex-Mex mix)
1 ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
1 cup queso fresco cheese (or feta), crumbled
1. In a large pot, stir together tomatoes, dark chocolate, white onion, raisins, almonds, chipotle peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin, anise, vegetable stock, and 2 cups of water.
2. Bring to a boil over high heat, lower to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes, or until tomatoes are soft and start to break down.
3. Set mixture aside to cool, then purée in a food processor until smooth.Tomato Salsa (2 cups)
1. Stir together tomatoes, red onion, lime juice, and fresh cilantro; add a pinch each of chili powder, salt, and pepper. Add hot sauce to taste, if desired.
2. Set aside until assembly.Achiote Chicken
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a food processor, combine annatto seeds (or paprika and turmeric), cumin seeds, black peppercorns, allspice, cloves, habanero peppers, orange juice, vinegar, garlic, and lime juice.
3. Blend until smooth.
4. Add chicken to a baking pan and pour achiote sauce on top. Stir in tomato paste and add water until chicken is ¾ covered.
5. Bake chicken for 30 minutes, or until chicken pulls apart easily; keep oven warm for burrito assembly.Assembly
1. While chicken bakes, combine 2 cups of uncooked rice with 4 cups of water; bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer of medium-low for 30 minutes, or until water has absorbed.
2. Stir chili powder and cumin into cooked rice and shred cooked chicken with a fork.
3. To assemble tortillas, spoon ¾ cup of refried beans down the centre of each flour tortilla; top with 1 ½ cups of rice, ¼ cup of black beans, ¼ cup of corn and shredded chicken.
4. Fold two ends inwards towards centre; fold bottom end to centre, cupping hands around ingredients to compress burrito. Continue rolling tightly.
5. Reheat mole sauce in a large pan over medium heat; bring to a low simmer while burrito bakes.
6. Place burrito onto a baking tray and place in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until warmed through.
7. To serve, remove burrito from the oven and pour mole sauce over the burrito; top with shredded cheese and garnish with queso fresco and fresh cilantro. Serve with a side of tomato salsa and sour cream.