Ina's Red Velvet Cupcakes
- prep time25 min
- total time 55 min
- serves 15
These red velvet cupcakes are a classic treat that's easily packaged up for those on the go.
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, such as Pernigotti
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk, shaken
1 Tbsp liquid red food colouring
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ lb(s) (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
Red Velvet Frosting, recipe followsRed Velvet Frosting
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
3 ½ cups sifted confectioners' sugar (3/4 lb)
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
2. In a small bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed for 1 minute, until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients alternately in 3 parts, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, and mix until combined. Stir with a rubber spatula to be sure the batter is mixed.
4. Scoop the batter into the muffin cups with a 2 1/4-inch ice cream scoop or large spoon. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool completely in the pans and frost the cupcakes with Red Velvet Frosting.Red Velvet Frosting
1. Place the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and mix on medium speed just until combined. Don't whip! Add the sugar and mix until smooth.
2010, Barefoot Contessa How Easy is That?, All Rights Reserved