Italian Sausage Pasta Skillet
- prep time16 min
- total time 16 min
- serves 4
Keep weeknights stress-free with this quick and easy pasta skillet recipe your whole family will love!
1 lb(s) bow-tie pasta
1 cup whole-milk ricotta
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb(s) bulk Italian sausage
1 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
2 tsp crushed red pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 sweet onion, such as Vidalia, sliced
1 bunch broccolini, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup jarred roasted red bell pepper strips, drained
½ cup yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
10 - 12 fresh basil leaves
1 loaf ciabatta or focaccia, warmed, for serving
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions.
2. Mix together the ricotta and lemon zest in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Tear the sausage into 1- to 2-inch chunks and place in the skillet. Cook for 60 to 90 seconds, then flip and cook for an additional minute. Add the oregano, crushed red pepper, garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Stir in the broccolini and jarred peppers. Using a ladle, remove 2/3 cup cooking water from the pasta pot and add to the skillet. Cook until the sauce is thickened and the broccolini is softened, about 3 minutes.
4. Drain the pasta once cooked.
5. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the pasta, lemon juice, yellow tomatoes and Parmesan. Dollop on the ricotta mixture; tear the basil leaves into large pieces and sprinkle them over the skillet. Serve the bread alongside the pasta, whole or torn into large chunks.