- prep time1 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 8
Pick up the flavours of the south with this Louisana classic.
1 lb(s) boneless skinless chicken, breasts
6 oz kielbasa, or other smoked sausage
4 oz ham
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 onion, chopped
1 sweet red pepper, chopped
1 sweet green pepper, chopped
2 bay leaf
1 ½ tsp chili powder
1 ½ tsp dried thyme
1 ½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp hot pepper flakes
2 cup parboiled rice
2 ½ cup chicken stock
1 28 oz can tomato, chopped
1 ½ cup frozen peas
12 oz medium shrimp, peeled, and, deveined
1. Cut chicken breasts into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces.
2. Cut kielbasa into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices; cut each slice into quarters.
3. In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken well on both sides.
4. Transfer to plate; set aside.
5. In same pan, brown kielbasa and ham for 5 minutes; transfer to plate.
6. Add garlic, celery, onions, red and green peppers, bay leaves, chili powder, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes to pan; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
7. Add rice, stirring to coat; add stock, tomatoes, chicken, kielbasa, and ham.
8. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
9. Stir in peas and shrimp; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
10. Discard bay leaves.