Japanese Bread Two Ways
- serves 8
Crescent roll dough is stuffed with Japanese curry chicken or BBQ chicken and deep fried until golden.
2 chicken breasts
1 dried bay leaf (optional)
1 block Japanese curry roux
½ cup water
salt and pepper
1 cup beef broth, divided
½ cup BBQ sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped (optional)
1 can (8 count) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescents
Cheddar or mozzarella cheese, cubed (optional)
Panko bread crumbs
Oil for deep frying
1. Boil chicken breasts with dried bay leaf. (If you have a pressure cooker, I recommend using it.) When they are cooked remove them from pot and let them cool. Once they are cooled down shred chicken breasts by hand.
2. While the chicken is boiling, put one block of Japanese curry roux and about 1/2 cup of water in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute then mix it well.
3. Slice onions into strips.
4. Stir fry onions and season them with salt and pepper.
5. Put half of the stir fried onions into another heated pan and add shredded chicken into both of pans.
6. Add 1/2 cup of beef broth in each pans. Add BBQ sauce into one pan and curry roux and soy sauce into the other pan.
7. Taste both and add more salt or pepper if needed. Add washed coriander (optional).
8. Spread crescent rolls and make them a little bit thinner with a rolling pin. Cut it into 8 pieces.
9. Put curry chicken (and a cube of cheese) on a piece of crescent roll sheet and wrap it into a ball. Do the same with BBQ chicken.
10. Dip each ball in beaten egg and then in panko to cover completely.
11. Deep fry the balls for about 8-10 minutes. Serve while hot.
Recipe by Sayaka Imamura