Jerk Pork Tenderloin with Chayote Black Beans, Pineapple Salsa and Fried Plantains
- serves 4
1 Tbsp whole black peppercorns
tsp whole allspice
1 tsp coriander seed
2 Tbsp vegtable oil
1 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and cut into large chunks
4 scallions, trimmed and cut into four pieces
4 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
¼ cup chopped thyme
1 scotch bonnet (optional)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 pinch nutmeg
2 1 lb(s) pork tenderloin, cleaned of sinewChayote Black Beans
1 Tbsp butter
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 chayote, diced
1 bay leaf
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper to tastePineapple Salsa
½ pineapple, diced
½ red onion, finely diced, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes and drained
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp sugar
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1 lime
pinch of saltFried Plantains
1 cup vegatable oil
2 ripe plaintains, peeled and sliced
1. In a spice grinder, mix black peppercorns, allspice, coriander seeds, and cloves until finely ground.
2. In a food processor mix olive oil, ginger, scallions, garlic, and thyme, scotch bonnet pepper, brown sugar, soy sauce, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add spice mixture and blend until mixture resembles a thick paste
3. Rub pork with jerk paste, making to sure to cover completely. Let marinate 1-2 hours at room temperature, or refrigerate overnight.
4. Preheat outdoor grill and lightly oil. Season pork with salt
5. Grill pork tenderloin on open BBQ, rotating frequently until lightly charred and cooked through, 15-20 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.Chayote Black Beans
1. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté gently.
2. Add chayote and bay leaf and cook slowly, over medium heat 5-8 minutes, or until slightly softened.
3. Add black beans and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper.Pineapple Salsa
1. In a large bowl, toss together all ingredients. Season to taste with salt.Fried Plantains
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.
2. Place sliced plantains in oil and fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until lightly browned.
3. Drain on paper towel.