½ cup vegan butter
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups finely chopped celery
1 ½ cups finely chopped yellow onion
4 clove garlic cloves, crushed
1 lbs finely chopped white and/or brown mushrooms
1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 Granny Smith apple, unpeeled and finely diced
¼ cup white wine (recommended Chardonnay)
4 tsp poultry seasoning
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 - 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
1 loaf loaf day-old white bread, roughly cut into 1-inch cubes
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 10-inch (25 cm) round or 10½- × 7½-inch (2.3 L) rectangular baking dish.
2. Heat the vegan butter and olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the celery and onions and cook until soft and fragrant, 3 to
3. Add the garlic, mushrooms, sage, and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the apple, white wine, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the apple slightly softens. Add 1 cup (250 mL) of the vegetable stock, stir, and cook for another 3 minutes.
5. Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Pour the mushroom mixture over the bread and lightly toss with a rubber spatula to combine. Drizzle with additional stock if you prefer a moister stuffing, and season with addi- tional poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper, if desired.
6. Spread the stuffing evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Source and Credits
Excerpted from Fraiche Food, Full Hearts: A Collection of Recipes for Every Day and Casual Celebrations by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Copyright © 2019 by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Photography copyright © 2019 by Janis Nicolay. Published by Penguin Canada, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.