Kale, Zucchini, and Pinto Bean Enchilada Recipe
- prep time20 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 2-4
A spicy vegetarian enchilada recipe with kale and pinto beans.
Courtesy of Katerina Wright.
1 tsp olive oil
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
½ tsp ground cumin
2 small zucchinis, grated
salt and pepper
1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 green onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced
½ cup enchilada sauce
½ cup Monterey jack cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat.
3. Add olive oil and jalapenos and stir for one minute.
4. Add zucchini, cumin and a big pinch of salt.
5. Cook the zucchini until it loses it’s liquid it will take about 3 minutes, meanwhile continue to stir it regularly.
6. Add kale and stir until wilted.
7. Remove from heat and stir in a good amount of pepper, beans, green onion, cilantro, and a tablespoon of enchilada sauce.
8. Now put together the enchiladas.
9. To do this prepare the tortillas by warming them in a hot skillet for about 30 seconds per side. (Note: this is a step which can be skipped if you are in a rush.)
10. In an 8×8 square pan spoon one third of the remaining enchilada sauce over the bottom.
11. One at a time form each enchilada.
12. Put one quarter of the filling and a sprinkling of cheese in each tortilla, roll up and place in casserole.
13. When you have all four done spoon the remaining enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
14. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
15. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.