Key Lime Habanero Cheesecake
- prep time1 min
- total time 80 min
- serves 6
Cheesecake gets a spicy kick with this unique interpretation of a classic dessert by Nadia G.
30 chocolate wafers (enough to make 1 1/2 cups of chocolate crumbs)
¼ cup unsalted butter, meltedCoulis
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 key limes, juiced
candied hibiscus flowersFilling
5 egg yolks
¼ cup key lime juice
1 Tbsp key lime zest
1 cup sugar
½ habanero pepper, minced, no seeds
2 cup whipped cream cheese, softened
1 cup mascarpone cheeseMeringues
5 egg whites
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp white vinegarAssembly and Cooking
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Put all the chocolate wafers in a resealable bag and then crush them into crumbs. Add the unsalted butter to the bag and mix together.
3. Mold the crust into the bottom of a spring form pan, about 1/4 inch thick. Bring it up the sides a little bit, about 1/2 an inch. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.Coulis
1. Heat a pot over medium. Pour in the water, sugar, key lime juice, and candied hibiscus flowers. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.Filling
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To the egg yolks, add: the key lime juice, lime zest, 1 cup of sugar, habanero pepper and whisk together. Add the cream cheese and mascarpone then mix for another 15 seconds. Set aside.Meringues
1. Whip the egg whites together with the white vinegar and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Delicately fold this meringue into the cheesecake mixture. Pour evenly over chocolate crust.Assembly and Cooking
1. Place 2 layers of aluminum foil in a roasting pan. Put the cake in the middle of the foil. Bring the foil up to create a seal. Pour water into the roasting pan, half way up the sides of the cake.
2. Bake for 1 hour., to 1 h30 depending on oven.
3. Allow the cake to cool completely on a countertop then refrigerate over night.
4. Serve each slice of this cheesecake drizzled with key lime and hibiscus coulis.