Kimchi Crab Spring Rolls
- prep time30 min
- total time 40 min
- serves 6
Don’t be intimidated by the title! Chuck Hughes' Kimchi crab spring rolls are delicious and easy to make.
½ cup water
½ cup sugar
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp fish sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp ginger, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
Juice of 1 limeThin Omelet
3 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepperKimchi Crab Spring Rolls
1 lb(s) snow crab
1 carrot, julienned
1 celery rib, julienned
2 green onions, julienned
1 ½ cup kimchi (375 ml) (check out Chuck’s recipe)
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
12 spring rolls wrappers
Canola oil for frying
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the water, sugar, rice vinegar, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, and juice of the lime to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes until it thickens a bit. Let cool. Add the remaining ingredients. Put aside.Thin Omelet
1. Heat up a nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat and coat with a small amount of oil. Use a paper towel to spread it around and wipe up any excess oil.
2. Add a little of the beaten egg mixture and rapidly swirl it around until it coats the bottom.
3. Cook on low heat just until the egg is set - this should take about 15 to 30 seconds. It’s done when the edges are dry and the top is just about cooked.
4. Loosen up the edges with a spatula, and then flip the pan upside down onto a plate - the omelet should flop out like a crepe. Continue with the remaining mixture. Roll them up and cut in fine strips. Set aside.Kimchi Crab Spring Rolls
1. Prepare the crab by removing the meat from the shells. (You can reserve all of the shells in a freezer bag for making stocks).
2. Take a spring roll wrapper and lay it on a flat clean surface at 45° so you have a diamond shape. Arrange the vegetables in a rectangle in the center of the wrapper, and add some omelet and spoon over some kimchi. Place a spoonful of crabmeat on top of the vegetables and garnish with cilantro.
3. Dip you finger in water and spread a small amount around the perimeter of the wrapper. Fold in the two sides, then fold the top down, and then the bottom up.
4. Using a couple of damp paper towels, cover the egg rolls as you finish the others.
5. Heat the oil to 375 F.
6. Fry the spring rolls. Turn them once or twice and ensure they are golden and crispy. Place them on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
7. Serve with the dipping sauce.