King Crab Tempura with Sweet and Sour Sauce
- serves 2
3 king crab legs
vegetable oil for deep frying
tempura batter (see attached recipe)
0.25 red onion
¼ oz jalapeno
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons ama-zu
2 tsp ponzuTempura Batter
1 egg yolk
6 ¼ oz ice water
3 ½ oz all-purpose flour
1. Cut and separate the king crab legs at their joints. Take each piece with the softer side (white side) of the shell facing up and trim off their shells with a knife to extract the meat. Cut off both ends of the meat to make all of the pieces the same length.
2. Heat vegetable oil to 355 F. Dust the crab lightly with flour and dip them in the tempura batter. Deep-fry for 2-3 minutes until the batter is crisp. Drain on paper towels.
3. Thinly slice the red onions. Chop the jalapeno into thin pieces.
4. Arrange the fried crab legs on a serving dish and sprinkle with the onion and jalapeno garnish. Make the Ama-zu Ponzu sauce by mixing the ama-zu and ponzu together and spoon this around the tempura.Tempura Batter
1. Lightly mix all ingredients together.