Lamb Kabobs in Pita
- prep time20 min
- total time 120 min
- serves 4
Grilled herb-marinated lamb topped with yogurt sauce, tomatoes and cucumber in a pita. Courtesy of Kristen Eppich.
2 lb(s) (1 kg) boneless lamb leg or shoulder
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1 Tbsp (15 mL) garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp (15 mL) mint, chopped
1 Tbsp (15 mL) oregano, chopped
1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest, grated
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
freshly ground pepper
½ cup (125 mL) Greek-style yogurt
½ cup (125 mL) cucumber, grated
4 pita bread, warmed
1 cup (250 mL) tomatoes, chopped
½ cup (125 mL) cucumber, thinly sliced
4 wooden skewers
1. Trim fat from lamb and discard. Cut lamb into 2-inch pieces. Combine with oil, garlic, mint, oregano and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let marinate for 1 hour, or overnight.
2. Stir yogurt with grated cucumber. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate.
3. Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat BBQ or grill pan to medium high. Thread lamb onto skewers. Cook until lamb is golden brown, and slightly pink in the centre, about 5 minutes per side.
5. Remove from grill and slide lamb off skewer into a warm pita. Top with yogurt sauce, tomatoes and cucumber.