- prep time15 min
- total time 20 min
- serves 12
This punch packs the delicious flavours of rum, absinthe, grenadine, pineapple, lemon zest, bitters and fresh mint.
1 ½ cups sugar
6 in lemons, 8 zest peeled
8 lemons, 6 zest peeled in strips and juiced and 2 thinly sliced
1 pineapple, peeled, cored and chopped
3 cups simmering water
4 cups brandy
2 cups rum
1 cup absinthe
½ cup grenadine
1 Tbsp whole cloves
1 Tbsp coriander seeds
2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
8 dashes bitters
2 cups whole milk
20 sprigs mint
1. In a large pot or bowl, stir to combine the sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and pineapple. Let stand for 30 minutes.
2. Add the hot water and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the brandy, rum, absinthe, grenadine, cloves, coriander, nutmeg and bitters. Let stand, covered, for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
3. In a medium saucepan, scald the milk, then add to the punch. The milk will curdle when mixed with the lemon juice and alcohol. Let stand for 1 hour.
4. Strain the punch through a double-cheesecloth or a coffee-filter-lined strainer. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
5. To serve, fill a large bowl with the punch and add the 2 sliced lemons. Fill a small glass with ice, add a mint sprig, then fill with punch. Repeat for the remaining cocktails.