Lighter Chicken Parmesan
- prep time5 min
- total time 16 min
- serves 4
A lighter take on a popular dish, this chicken parm is served with whole-wheat angel hair pasta.
1 24-oz jar good-quality marinara sauce
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
½ cup grated Parmesan
¼ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 ½ lb(s) chicken tenders
12 oz whole-wheat angel hair pasta
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ cup shredded fresh mozzarella
1. Preheat the broiler to medium. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Combine the marinara sauce and balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs, half the Parmesan, half the parsley and some salt and pepper. Put the beaten egg whites in a separate shallow dish. Coat the chicken tenders in the egg whites first, then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
4. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the package instructions.
5. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Pour the tomato sauce over the chicken, scatter the mozzarella and remaining Parmesan evenly over top and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
6. Drain the pasta. Serve with the chicken and garnish with the remaining parsley.